To everything there is a season

To everything there is a season

Sunday, 2 November 2014

Prayer (November 2014)

5 November, Sunday

Activity: MassCelebrant: No idea... Location: Basilica of the Sacred Heart of JesusComments: By God's grace, we made it in time to church from the Lobster Festival :). Opening hymn was powerful, really inspiring and put me in the right mood and spirit for mass.



The gospel today was the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:7).

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth. 
Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy. 
Blessed are the clean of heart, 
for they shall see God. 
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when men reproach you,
and persecute you,

and speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you, for My sake.

The priest shared that Saturday was All Saints and that today was All Souls, and to pray for the souls of people who have no one to pray for them.

We also did the 
litany of the saints, in my home parish (Church of the Holy Cross-style).

Aside, had a heart to heart talk with the husband, about why he wanted me to remove his climbing photo from Facebook, and he told me about how when he was climbing a lot and winning competitions, he used to post a lot of photos on Facebook, but he got to the stage where he felt that it was all ego and self-indulgent, and stopped doing that. He doesn't want to re-open Pandora's box. That really got me thinking, and I decided that as much as I want to join the yoga community in Instagram through the #eatmoveom, I felt that I didn't want to share too many personal details for fear of how the information will be used, or rather, fear of being judged as I'm a sensitive soul, and to rethink if I really want to blog and put myself out there. I guess its time to take a step back and calibrate. And definitely stop posting progress pictures of my half naked body.

After all, beautiful things don't call for attention!

3 November, Monday

Activity: Prayer

Comments: Gospel from Sacred Space

Luke 14:12-14

Jesus said also to the one who had invited him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbours, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Reflection on Sacred Space:


Jesus, how often my giving is corrupted by self-interest and the hope of favours in return. You gave to me without hope of return. I can do you no favours, but you taught me that love means giving without expectations, that there is more happiness in giving than in receiving.


16 November, Sunday

Activity: Mass
Celebrant: Fr Jovita Ho 
Location: Church of the Holy Cross
Comments: It was the parable of the talents and Fr Jovita shared about his personal story about his call and decision to begin his priesthood training. What if he failed and he would have to find employment at 38? But a Buddhist friend told him, 'If your God calls you to it, He will see you through it". Risk-taking. 

As Sacred Space aptly describes it:

What can I take from your story, Lord? The cards you dealt me, the talents with which I grew up, are different from other people’s: more than some, less than others. Am I to take risks with them? Try out different paths, with the danger of failing? And then learn from my failures? You are telling me not to bury my gifts, not to curl up in safe inertia, but to take risks and use them to the full. As Samuel Beckett said: No matter…Try again… Fail again… Fail better…


16 November, Sunday

Activity: Sacrament of Reconciliation 
Celebrant: Fr Richards Ambrose
Location: Church of the Holy Cross
Comments: He reminded me to pray everyday in the same way that I eat everyday. But also, to remember that the act of contrition should be that 'I am sorry for my sins' and that 'I will not do it again'. The rest of the prayer, I can always say it in my own time. Pretty direct. Pretty embarrassing. But oh well. At least, my sins are forgiven. Go in peace =).

Aside, in my prayer life, I desire to use my talents to be more life-giving, and not chase after status, wealth and power; but to spread love, peace and joy. But I am ever challenged, to practise patience and loving kindness to my loved ones. Which is what I confessed. My unkindness to my husband and parents. And yet I struggle. But as Samuel Beckett says, "... fail better". 


23 November, Sunday

Activity: Mass
Celebrant: Mgsr Ambrose Vaz
Location: Church of the Holy Cross
Comments: Today was feast of Christ the King, and Mgsr Vaz expounded on how Jesus was a servant King, and that he was a King who served, who cared, and is concerned. We are likewise called to heal, to help, to restore and to rebuild.

One takeaway while praying: Love undergirds all. It was a painful food poisoning episode but it showed me how much my parents loved me, dad fetching me to the doctor at 4 or 5am, ending up with a sore throat. Super bummed to miss all the school activities, but hey, I got to spend precious time with the sister and nieces, nauseous as I was :). 


30 November, Sunday

Activity: Mass
Celebrant: Father Jovita Ho 
Location: Church of the Holy Cross
Comments: First week of Advent! He spoke about how even if he falls asleep while in prayer at the adoration room, he chooses not to be consumed by guilt, but instead offers that up to God and asks God to possess him. The very fibre of his being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment