Instructor: Karuna
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: [From Instagram] Waking up for my 9:45am #exercise is the best part for me today, even if it means braving 3 degree Celsius to get to the #gym, because my most #enthusiastic #instructor, Karuna, is teaching #Bodyworks plus #abs. We followed her creative HALLOWEEN #workout: H for hollow man + knee stripes, A for #airpunches + #dumbbells, L for #lunges + #jump, L for lunges + jumps, O for #obliques v-up, W for wide #squat + heel lift, E for elevator #pushups and #leglifts, E for elevator #plank rows, N for negative #biceps curls and 2 others to start and end off, #tuckjumps with interval #hops and rockstar #jumps! Repeat for 3 sets. I love that she mixes things up in her classes, that she encourages us in word and deed (she saw that I was struggling with a move and corrected and accompanied me to #motivate me), and above all, that she recognized me as a #Singaporean from my accent in her first class! She has relatives living in SG and she had just returned from a visit to SG and she ❤️ SG. #MajulahSingapura #proudSingaporean. And that's Karuna in the photo taking a #selfie. Reposted from her FB, with permission of course ~

Activity: Yoga photoshoot
Photographer: Tanmay Sapkal of The Urban Voyager
Hair and makeup artiste: Denise Batista
Location: Georgia Tech
Comments: John was instrumental to everything being a success as he was in-charge of correcting my postures :). He cooked lunch for Denise and I, drove Denise home, drove Tanmay and I to Georgia Tech, braved 0 degree Celsius by lending me his thick winter jacket (I had only a think windbreaker!), drove Tanmay home, and was just a sweetheart in general! Dare I complain he has no time for me... =`).
This photo of John was captured by Tanmay by the way!
4 November, Monday
Activity: Boot Camp Conditioning
Instructor Tyrell
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: My last class at LA Fitness before I return to Singapore! Canceled my LA Fitness membership after that and will return in January to sign up again :). Was a good final class, forced myself there despite John's offer of a romantic farewell dinner, but it's going to be my last exercise before Friday so I just had to get it in! Will be two months before I get to lift 5KG weights and workout with puddles of perspiration =). Hesitated approaching Tyrell, especially after what I read on his blog the day before, but it's alright, I can always approach him through social media =). Took a few videos to inspire me, when I don't feel like working out in future =).
7 November, Friday
Activity: Hot Core Yoga
Instructor: Kumar
Location: Real Yoga
Comments: Felt really JOYFUL after 3 days of inactivity and traveling 24 hours in an aeroplane! Good to stretch all over again =).
8 November, Saturday
Activity: Hot Stretch Yoga
Instructor: Chandran
Location: Real Yoga
Comments: It was painful holding stretches for so long and not enjoyable, but something that will definitely improve my flexibility!
11 November, Tuesday
Activity: Personal Training
Instructor: Jerome
Location: Gold's Gym at The Strategy, IBP
Comments: Complimentary free trial. Learnt how to use a variety of new equipment of exercises:
1) Rowing: keep back straight

Source: Rowing Machine
2) TRX from both sides

Source: TRX
3) Squats with bouncing medicine ball off the wall
Source: Medicine Ball
4) Squats with pole
5) Squats on the Step

Source: Squats on step
6) Crunches and leg lifts with head up
Realized that I've been doing my squats all wrong! Cannot commit to future sessions unfortunately due to the cost =\.
12 November, Wednesday
Activity: Real Hot Yoga
Instructor: Amrit
Location: Real Yoga
Comments: 1.5 hours! Break after 45 minutes. Every posture is repeated twice. Difficulty with dancer pose and half moon pose (apparently we are supposed to be looking up).
Amrit kept correcting my alignment for a lot of poses (yay!) and seemed to like me pretty much, and even asked where I stayed and told me more about Real Yoga after class.
15 November, Saturday
Activity: Hot Backbend Yoga
Instructor: Chandran
Location: Real Yoga
Comments: Painful! Very inflexible I am. Great that Chandran held me up in my wheel as I straightened my arms, just too bad that I couldn't hold the pose for long!
18 November, Tuesday
Activity: Power Yoga 1
Instructor: .Chua WeiHwa
Location: Space & Light at R-EVOLUTION Vivocity
Comments: Ye Qing and I didn't perspire one drop... but it was scenic. I liked that she corrected my alignment, but Ye Qing commented that she spoke... a bit too much :P.
19 November, Wednesday
Activity: Personal Training
Instructor: Fay Hokulani
Location: UFIT Singapore at Amoy Street
Comments (on Instagram):

My first #personaltraining session with #fitspiration @fayhokulani at #UFIT #Singapore. She's so beautiful, even after a long day's work ! An enjoyable #workout where Fay was attentively correcting my #alignment, ensuring that I maintain good form. Started with the #foamroller; to release tension in the hamstrings, calves and hips. Moved on to 'crabwalk' with #resistancebands, #lunges with parallel arms, #highkicks touching fingers to toes, #squats with a pole, squats on the #Bosu, squats with #medicineball, #TRX #jumpsquats and #rowing, #mountainclimbers while #planking on the #benchpress, #abwork on #Swissball (where I died ), #plank with #leglifts on the BOSU, ending with #bridge pose with straight legs. Super fun !
22 November, Saturday
Activity: HIIT and Full Body Toning
Instructor: Fitness Blender
Location: At home on my red yoga mat with my weights =)
Comments: Used this for a 45 minute exercise (https://www.youtube.com/
23 November, Sunday
Activity: HIIT and Full Body Toning
Instructor: Fitness Blender
Location: At home on my red yoga mat with my purple towel
Used a different Fitness Blender workout!
25 November, Tuesday
Activity: Power Yoga 1
Instructor: .Chua WeiHwa
Location: Space & Light at R-EVOLUTION Vivocity
Comments: (from Instagram)
Nothing beats an excellent 90 minutes #power #yoga sesh after a long and frustrating day of programming! I teared from the stress and expectations (in the washroom) mid-day, but post yoga, I was radiating #joy and #beaming from ear to ear. More like #laughing as if everything's #funny! True story. Perhaps it was the release of #endorphins from the #sweat, as we explored the challenging yet #fun #asanas that WeiHwa prepared for today's #class. Altogether grateful 🙏. Especially to WeiHwa for giving clear and helpful instructions for every pose and conscientiously correcting my #alignment. Photo by @jasmineye , my fellow PhD sufferer, who caught me capturing the #scenery which we were #flowing to. We will survive and graduate, through the power of Yoga!
Activity: Personal Training
Instructor: Fay Hokulani
Location: UFIT Singapore at Amoy Street
Comments: (from Instagram)

Last nights personal training with @fayhokulani at @ufitsingapore , tried many things for the first time and worked up a good #sweat ✌️! First time being the last to leave the #gym. #Boxjump (land softly on both legs, especially heels); #barbell #lifts (back straight, power from hips, one palm facing upwards the other facing the barbell gripping the barbell firmly, keep close to knees, #bend to #stretch #hamstrings, straighten leg, squeeze glutes at the top); #kettleball swings (power from hips, knees soft, swing in one motion, eyes follow kettleball, keep between #thighs, extend base of kettleball outwards); kettleball #squats; #benchpress squats (ankle in line with one #knee on benchpress, other knee on floor not looming over toes, don't let knees #move inwards); #plank walk sideways (maintain low hips); modified #pushups (roll #shoulders backwards); #TRX pulling fists and elbows to chest (don't hike up hips); #pilates tabletop extend leg and hand in one straight line #crunching to chest, and rotating in circular #motions, still in tabletop, #stretching elbow to elbow extending upwards (don't #hyperextend). Slept like a baby, dreamt of fat penguins, and all ready for today's programming!
29 November, Saturday
Activity: Personal Training
Instructor: Jerome
Location: Gold's Gym at The Strategy, IBP
Comments:
1) Did the barbell shoulderpress with bar only.
2) Upright rows with 10KG weights. 3 sets of 12.
3) Lateral raises with 2.5kg dumb bells.
4) Resistance band pull back 3 sets of 15.
5) Bicep curls with a rope, 3 sets of 15 each with 5kg weights
6) Tricep extension with a rope, 3 sets of 12 with 10kg weights.
Key takeaway is the importance of visualization, as he kept telling me to, 'focus', on the move, and to do everything with purpose. This is summed up well here:
Visualization/Meditation:
The mind controls the body, program yourself to be the best you can be. See yourself performing or mastering a move exactly as you wish to be. Then your inner knowing will guide you there. In my mind I saw and practiced every kick and martial arts move before I mastered it.

No comments:
Post a Comment