Activity: Zumba
Instructor: De'Marco
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:20
Comments: The original instructor from last week couldn't make it, so the instructor from the previous class took over. He was more of a hip hop instructor than a zumba instructor, so we ended up with a lot of moves that had a lot of swag. Good that I was wearing my funky top that said "leader of the pack", that put me in the right mood for the blasting hip hop music. Fancy being taught hip hop by an African American instructor with fellow African American classmates who ended up giving each other high-fives at the end of class. Even though it was just dancing, I was so beat by the end of it :). Made friends with an Indian lady, Pratibha. It was her first day there, and we ended up exchanging Facebook, numbers and we're going to motivate each other to go everyday...
3 September, Wednesday
Activity: Boot Camp Conditioning
Instructor: Tammie
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:20
Comments: She was strict, and pow-wow. I struggled with some of the new moves but quickly corrected myself with her guidance. I perspired quite a bit, but to date, the bodyworks plus abs was the most killer. This was just the right amount of heavy perspiration! Addicted to sweat. Sounds like a nice slogan for a new brand of tees.
8 September, Monday
Activity: Yoga
Instructor: Laura
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:10
Comments: Instructor was 60+ years in age, and it was very slow and therapeutic. Didn't drop any perspiration but I slept well after that due to all the stretching involved :). Paid for my membership today, and it's US39.99 every month, with US$10 each time I stop the plan (to return to Singapore).
10 September, Wednesday
Activity: 35 minutes of cycling with resistance, 30 minutes of abs and arm exercises with weights
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: The bodyworks plus abs class got cancelled at the last minute as they were cleaning the floor, and thank God that Pratibha was with me as we did our own exercises and I was really perspiring A LOT while cycling/ running with resistance! Last time I did that was with Michaela and this time around due to the external stimulation, cycling class was going on with music blasting, many people at different stations doing their thing, time passed by much faster than expected! I wouldn't have used the gym equipment on my own if not for the class let-down, so it turned all well in the end =).
Aside, Wednesday's Cycle class at 6:45pm by Maurice seems super popular and worth trying! Shall try cycling and swimming at some point.
11 September, Thursday
Activity: Zumba
Instructor: Amanda
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:15
Comments: Was alright but not as intense as the substitute hip hop teacher previously, or Ebony (Tuesday's Zumba). Quite cheesy actually. Will probably not go for this class in future.
11 September, Thursday
Activity: Yoga (Vinyasa Flow)
Instructor: Erica
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:13
Comments: Best yoga class of the three I've attended so far, as in the most intense. Was tired halfway through from my second consecutive class. However, still did not perspire a drop even though she said we would. Still can't beat Rashita's class, I guess that is more progressive whereas this is a general drop-in class.
12 September, Friday
Activity: Personal Training
Instructor: Jamal
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:1!
Comments: Had a complimentary personal training session as part of my membership with Jamal. He says I've 28% body fat and that is fair. The ideal is 22% body fat, and 18% body fat is perfect. He asked me for my target areas, and I said arms and abs. So he taught me some weight exercises with dumbbells, first I've to go fast for 15 reps, and then go slow in the same exercise for 15 reps. For abs, we did mountain climbers and holding the legs in 90 degrees, followed by 45 degrees, followed by 20? degrees.

Source: Mountain Climber
After that, I ran for 30 minutes on a treadmill and burned 275 calories. Did all the exercises I could remember from full body toning, yoga and pilates classes, including my favorite inversion, the headstand. Did another 10 minutes on another cardio machine. Finished off with the bicep machines. And just like that, 3 hours passed by and I was done for the day!
14 September, Sunday
Activity: 15 minutes of weights and abs, 45 minute Level 2 Intermediate Flow by Yogifly, 1 hour of cardio on the treadmill
Workout Buddy: Pratibha
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: Started out with repeating the exercises that the personal trainer taught me, followed by some mountain climbers and ab workout. Decided to do the Yogifly app that Michaela introduced to me sometime back, apparently Diana had told her about it. Did the Level 2 intermediate and I finally perspired while doing yoga! So far the classes at LA Fitness seem targeted for the beginners. Even Vinyasa Flow has no kick. Three quarter way through the app and they asked us to do handstands, and that's when I know, I'm in for something good!
Pratibha arrived and we decided to run for an hour, and I covered 5km and burned 500 calories :). Longest cardio so far, which would put me in good stead for my 5km run as part of the Wanderlust festival in two weeks!
15 September, Monday
Activity: Boot Camp Conditioning
Instructor Tyrell
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: Best class I've attended in awhile. Did a lot of weights, and was perspiring heavily forming a puddle 30 minutes into it! Was 5 minutes late as I went to the washroom and was quite disoriented initially trying to find a spot, but I got one right at the back, next to the mirror, where I could check myself out, from time to time :P.
16 September, Tuesday
Activity: Cardio Jam and Zumba
Instructor: De'Marco and Ebony
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: De'Marco was really good! We even took a picture with him at the end. I liked that Ebony asked us to use 2.5 kg weights at some point to dance. I think I'm addicted to weights as it's the only way to build muscles!
18 September, Thursday
Activity: Zumba, Yoga, Weights and Cardio
Instructor: Amanda (?), Laura (?)
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: The Zumba teacher's instructions for her routines were not too good such that people started walking out in the midst of class :P. I stayed till the end, it's my policy even if not enforced, out of respect for the instructor.
Yoga was much better. Hers was more strenuous and there were three Bikram Yoga poses that I struggled with (Eagle Pose, Toe Stand Pose and Balancing Stick Pose). Nice to struggle cos normally I can do everything in my Atlanta classes... which is not challenging enough.
Did weights and repetitions similar to what I was taught at my complimentary personal training session. Cardio wise only did 20 minutes, as it was nearing the 3 hour mark of my exercise. I love exercising, but it feels too indulgent and not efficient enough. If only I had the same motivation for other aspects of my life :).
Next goals: splits and handstands... my splits actually got better just because I exercised a lot, and it so happened that the exercises I did stretched my hamstrings. Sweet!

Source: Balancing Stick Pose

Source: Eagle Pose

Source: Toe Stand Pose
22 September, Monday
cBoot camp was good, perspired a lot and kept clock watching. I know it's a darn good workout when I can't wait for it to end! Did a lot of weights, and challenged myself with 5kg weights when I do 1kg weights in Singapore!
Yoga was better than expected and my legs actually shivered in side plank pose! Maybe it's because I haven't worked out in 4 days or maybe from the intense hour I had earlier. I liked that she made us do dolphin plank and then lift each leg up, as preparation for headstand. I should practice my headstands, on the bed, without the wall!

Source: side plank pose
23 September, Tuesday
Activity: Zumba
Instructor: Ebony
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: Perspired, but sad that she repeated her exact same routine last week. My body will get used to it at this rate. The only good thing was that her first routine was to Pompeii's Bastille!
24 September, Wednesday
Activity: Bodyworks Plus Abs
Instructor: Katilia (or "Queen")
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Comments: OMG worst/best class ever! There was perspiration in my own eyes, and salt on my tongue. I didn't even have time to drink water. So much squats and lunges, my thighs are going to hurt real bad tomorrow. Even the arms, I couldn't do 5kg with her routine! Couldn't follow her push ups also. Nice of her to come by and correct me, for instance, I should keep my back straight in my lunges, and my mountain kicks should be more powerful, as in the knees should kick up more. Now her 'single.. single.. double..' is playing in my ears!
25 September, Thursday
Activity: Yoga (Vinyasa Flow)
Instructor: Erica
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Teacher-Student Ratio: ~
Comments: Can't remember as this is a backdated entry!
29 September, Monday
Activity: Yoga
Instructor: Laura
Location: LA Fitness at Atlantic Station
Teacher-Student Ratio: ~
Comments: Was having sinusitus so I was dripping from my nose and felt nauseous and weak, but could still follow the class as the speed was slow. Felt better after yoga :).
No comments:
Post a Comment