To everything there is a season

To everything there is a season

Sunday, 6 July 2014

Exercise (July 2014)

2 July, Wednesday

Activity: Full body toning
Organizer: NUS Staff Club 
Instructor: Bryan
Location: NUS Staff Club Aerobics Studio
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:25
Comments: First round of a new class. A few familiar faces. Exact same routine which made me perspire but did not feel strenuous enough? When class ended, I was like "huh, that's it?!"

6 July, Sunday

Activity: Floating Yoga
Organizer: Celebrity Fitness
Instructor: Jenny
Location: NUS Staff Club Aerobics Studio
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:20
Comments: The most uncomfortable experience ever, as I struggled through getting used to it but I'll be back for more! Thought I loved inversions but being inverted for 30+minutes or more really brings things up a whole new level =).

This is basically what we did in class:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8gFCUAS_-E

This was a move that I wanted to take a picture of but the instructor did not allow =(


Source: Floating Yoga

7 July, Monday

Activity: Full body toning
Organizer: NUS Staff Club 
Instructor: Bryan
Location: NUS Staff Club Aerobics Studio
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:20
Comments: The entire class was manageable and enjoyable, except for the full leg lifts at the end of class. Something we were requested to do at the end of every ballet class. All 100 of it. Died. But was rewarded with a fabulous 6-pack post-workout :).

Source: Leg lifts

8 July, Tuesday

Activity: Zumba 
Organizer: Celebrity Fitness
Instructor: Derick
Location: Rochester Mall 
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:20-ish
Comments: Attended half an hour of class as I had a stomache. Really enjoyed the choreography of salsa and other dances, with a lot of vigorous hip-shaking and throwing hands in the hand, ala Bollywood. Would have been better if the instructor did not expect us to do his mirror image as it was confusing for my brain! The best part was the cool down sequence where we did some contemporary and ballet movements and I realize that I really miss dancing, and putting the "feeling" into my choreography! So SYTYCD. 


8 July, Tuesday

Activity: BOSU Mind and Body 
Organizer: Celebrity Fitness
Instructor: Kevin
Location: Rochester Mall 
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:8
Comments: Expected more dynamic pilates and yoga but it was a series of yoga poses which we held for 1.5 minutes each. Slow, intense stretching, which reminded me of yin yoga, but with a BOSU equipment. I sucked at pigeon pose, and Kevin mentioned that I tended to tilt to one side (in Rachel's words, my stronger side), so I need to watch out for that.  Must consciously tilt my body to the front. Thigh felt the burn ! Not my favorite, but at least I finally tried it, after eyeing that funny piece of equipment for the longest time. Next up is kettle ball and SUP Yoga!

golds gym singapore bosu ball.jpg

Source: BOSU Ball

Benefits of BOSU Balance Trainer (BT)? 

Barefoot movement on the BOSU BT challenges the lower body extremities in new ways (Kavounoudias). When training barefoot on the BT using slow, meditative movements, the brain begins interpreting proprioceptive messages that are sent continuously from the foot and ankle complex, inducing autonomic reflexive active stabilization from head-to-toe for a full-body, functional integrative approach to training. When working barefoot on the BT, we train the "foot triangle" (Shakoor). Imagine a triangle connecting the transversus arch (located on the foot heel) with the areas below the big toe and the pinkie toe. The longitudinal arch runs from below the middle toe to the heel, and the muscles in this area under the arch also assist with balance. When training barefoot on the BT, these muscles work together to foster intrinsic, active muscular stabilization. As a result of this training, when we return to wearing shoes on stable flooring, we have become more stable.

9 July, Wednesday

Activity: Floating Yoga
Organizer: Celebrity Fitness
Instructor: Ben
Location: Rochester Mall 
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:8
Comments: Had difficulty with everything except the inversion, since I had done it before last Sunday. Demoralizing that I cannot kick up and do a somersault. Need more core strength. A lot more. Super sad that I didn't have a photo momento of my inverted double bow =`(. 

 

Source: Inverted double bow 


13 July, Sunday

Activity: Playing catching and other nonsensical races 
Playmates: John, Moses and Daphne
Location: Lotus Desaru Resort
Comments: FUN! Red like a lobster now :D. 





15 July, Tuesday

Activity: Yoga
Organizer: Diana
Instructor: Rashita
Location: CREATE Aerobics Studio
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:8
Comments: After a week of inactivity, feels absolutely great to be back on the mat, burnt as I am! The pose of the week is wheel pose, which I can only do with the head to the mat. Probably need to practice back at home! 

16 July, Wednesday

Activity: Full body toning
Organizer: NUS Staff Club 
Instructor: Bryan
Location: NUS Staff Club Aerobics Studio
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:20
Comments: Chen came along for the first time! I wasn't feeling up to it as I had residual pee, so I didn't give it my all! Was feeling a little down, I don't know why so I didn't put much "feeling" into it. Didn't feel like it was a great workout at the end of it... 

22 July, Tuesday

Activity: Yoga
Organizer: Diana
Instructor: Rashita
Location: CREATE Aerobics Studio
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:7
Comments: Spoke to Rashita for the first time cos of Jasmine's incident, she seemed really normal and nice. Enjoyed the class as there is finally more variation! Felt super awful before class, and felt so much better post-class. Been an awful weekend of tearing so much, probably brought about by PMS, so it was so relieving to feel So good post-workout :D. 

23 July, Wednesday

Activity: Full body toning
Organizer: NUS Staff Club 
Instructor: Bryan
Location: NUS Staff Club Aerobics Studio
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:20
Comments: Worked out with Chen, and it felt good, although my lower back muscle started to ache at night :P.
26 July, Saturday

Activity: Run & Ab workout
Location: Ivory Heights
Comments: Due to my being late and missing out on yoga at Updog Studio at Grandstand, I decided to do a run around the neighborhood, do some ab work at the exercise corner, and ended off with a headstand with Bunny, taken by the only person who'll humor me... my mum! :D
29 July, Tuesday

Activity: Yoga
Organizer: Diana
Instructor: Rashita
Location: CREATE Aerobics Studio
Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:4
Comments: Smallest class size yet! Pose of the week is eagle pose arm balance and of course, I can't do it due to lack of arm strength =(. Having said that, I was looking forward to yoga to reduce my terrible migraine, and I did feel slightly better and a lot more relaxed so intention met =). 

No comments:

Post a Comment